When I like a music video, it's both for the song and the imagery, but if I'm going to watch a video, it needs to be something other than shots of the band playing. Lurid is good. But mostly it needs to be fun, kind of like Dog Days are Over by Florence + The Machine.
But everyone's seen florence and Peter Gabriel, and so on. so I think I'll share a few of the more obscure favourites she hasn't listed, in no particular order, at the risk of dating myself:
- Nemesis by Shriekback—Probably the most tongue-in-cheek video from the most tongue-in-cheek of 80s bands.
- God is God by Juno Reactor—Byzantine Iconography in all senses of the word.
- This, Too, Shall Pass by OK Go—Who can't love a Rube Goldberg machine. And the TIMING!
- Ç'est la Ouatte by Caroline Loeb—You can't get any campier, and I love her off-kilter, ironic face.
- Bum Bum by Trio—Deadpan delivery, then inexplicable game-show falderal at the end.
- Love Marriage by Wilbur Sargunaraj—I'm not sure just how brilliant this is. Your results may vary.
- Tunak Tunak Tun by Daler Mehndi—Oh, my.
So what are yours?